Wednesday, October 20, 2010

An apple a day…


There's nothing like a fresh, crisp apple.

I enjoy one every day after lunch.

It's common to have something sweet after a meal, but I don't do sweets at lunch time. Sugar lowers the immune system for a few hours after we eat it. I don't know what germs I'll be exposed to in the afternoon at my office or running errands, so I prefer to keep my immune system at peak performance.

It doesn't matter whether it's sugar, honey, fructose or corn syrup - all sugars have this short-term immune-suppressant effect.

Now, while an apple has sugar, it also has carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins and enzymes that boost the immune system, so I figure it evens out. Apple juice, applesauce or cooked apples don't have the same benefits as a raw apple.

I find that although I might feel like a cookie after lunch, once I've eaten my apple my sweet tooth is satisfied and my mouth feels fresh - I don't want to put anything else in it.

Fortunately I'm able to get good apples year round at the Hollywood Farmers Market. The varieties change with the season: fuji, gala, pink lady, now the Arkansas blacks are coming in. It never gets boring.

On Monday, I ate my apple for lunch, instead of after. I added it to a salad of soft butter lettuce from Finley farms and freshly harvested walnuts from La Nogalera, with a robust dressing of mustard and walnut oil. Mustard is a great fall flavoring, and it goes well with nuts and apples.

You could add a few cubes of cheddar or a handful of nutty chickpeas to boost the protein content. Vary the other ingredients as you like. The dressing makes enough to dress a salad for four. Any leftover will keep in a jar in the fridge for a week or so.

Robust Mustard Dressing
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp chopped red onion
1 tbsp coarse-grain or dijon mustard
3 tbsp walnut oil
salt and pepper

Whisk vinegar, onion and mustard. Whisk in walnut oil until blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Makes a scant half cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment