Monday, August 14, 2017

Sprouted Chickpeas

When I make hummus, I like to sprout the chickpeas before cooking them. Sprouting is supposed to suppress the enzymes that prevent us from fully digesting the chickpeas and getting all their nutrients.

I knew someone who turned raw sprouted chickpeas into hummus, but I found it hard to digest. Dried beans are meant to be well cooked, so after soaking and sprouting, I throw them in the pressure cooker.

I just sprout the chickpeas long enough to soften a little. The bulge where they would sprout gets a little bigger. No roots or leaves appear.

It takes a little advance planning to soak and sprout, but I find it makes a tastier hummus which requires less oil to make it soft and yummy.

First I soak a half pound of chickpeas in cold water on the counter overnight. In the morning, I drain them (saving the water for my houseplants) and spread them on a towel on a cookie sheet. There they sit (covered with another towel if I fear there are flies in the house) until I get home from work ready to cook them and turn them into hummus.

I cook them for about 15 minutes in my pressure cooker until they're very soft. Then I drain them and put them in the food processor with a clove of garlic, 3 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of lemon juice. I process until smooth and then add a large tablespoon of tahini, a sprinkle of salt and a half teaspoon of cumin. I then add water or olive oil to thin it to the desired consistency. Sometimes some extra lemon juice is required.

It lasts well in the fridge and is great with carrots and celery, making it a simple high-protein snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment