Monday, February 27, 2017

Stir-Fry with Cellophane Noodles

Back in the '70s, when woks were taking North America by storm, my parents bought a hand-beaten tempered steel one in Chinatown (possibly in Toronto, but maybe in Montreal - memories are unclear). It came in a burlap bag with a split bamboo scrubber and a metal spatula.

Last time I visited my mother, I found it hanging in her basement, still in the original burlap bag. She had used it a regularly for a while, but when it didn't fit on her new stove it got relegated to the basement. I put it in my suitcase and brought it back to LA.

It works great on my gas stove, and has made my leftover-rice dinners exceptionally easy to cook.

Recently I found organic cellophane noodles at my local Chinese pharmacy. They are grown by a company in Taiwan called Long Kow Bio Garden, and are certified organic by the USDA and CERES - the European organic certification body - so I feel pretty confident they are not grown in toxic soil.

Cellophane noodles are made from beans, not grains, so they make a nice change from pasta or rice. Plus they cook very easily - just a soak in hot water will do.

I made stir-fried greens and noodles for dinner on Oscar night. The greens were broccoli, collards and the greens from a daikon radish. Bok choy, chinese cabbage, snow peas, mung bean sprouts or other greens would be fine substitutes. Also, if you have spring onions, substitute a bunch for the chopped onion.

Stir-Fry with Cellophane Noodles
2 cups broccoli florets
6 oz package cellophane noodles
2 tsp organic canola oil
2 tbsp chopped onion
6 leaves collard greens, sliced thin
6 leaves daikon greens, sliced thin
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp grated ginger root
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup peas
2 tbsp tamari
1/4 cup peanuts, lightly toasted

Heat an inch of water in the wok (or skillet) and cook the broccoli, covered, until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Separately, cook the noodles according to the directions on the package. Set aside.

Heat the wok (or skillet) and add the oil. Add onion, collards, daikon greens and salt. Stir over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes.

Add garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, until the greens are limp.

Add broccoli, tamari and peas. Stir until warmed through. Then add the cellophane noodles and the peanuts. Toss to mix well, and serve.

Serves 3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment