Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Brussels Sprouts Leaves

The head on top of the stalk
I bought a Brussels sprouts head at the Hollywood Farmers Market the other day.

I have seen Brussels sprouts stalks before, but never the leafy head that grows at the top of the stalk.

It makes me want to grow some of my own just for the decorative and unusual plant in the garden. Sadly, our garden doesn't get enough chilling hours to make them grow really well. Instead I buy my sprouts from farmers in cooler California regions.

But this was the first time I was able to buy a Brussels sprouts head.

I cooked the leaves as I would cabbage or collards. The farmer suggested I could eat them raw in salads too, but they seemed a little tough for that.

And I steamed the little sprouts which were sweet and tender.

Altogether a very cool experience. I'll buy these again.


The upside-down head - see the tiny sprouts?

No comments:

Post a Comment