Thursday, October 23, 2014

Beans and Greens

Yes, I'm a little obsessive with my beans and greens. If we all ate these every day, we would be much healthier.

There are many ways to cook these nutritious and delicious ingredients. This is what I did on Sunday.

I cooked the beans early in the day and drained them. (You could use a 14-oz can of beans.) Later I cooked the tomato sauce. Just before eating, I reheated it, steamed the spinach separately, and then combined them.

There's enough sauce to make this a great dish to eat with rice or another grain. However, I also like it in a bowl just as is.

My body is thrilled to be eating all these good nutrients. Yours will be too.

Beans and Greens
2/3 cup large white beans
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 tbsp olive oil
14oz can tomatoes
6 oz spinach

Cook the beans in plenty of simmering water until tender. Drain and set aside.

Sauté garlic and onion in olive oil until softened. Add canned tomatoes and cook until they are broken down. Add the cooked beans and mix well.

Wash the spinach, pull off any tough stems, and chop coarsely.

Put it in a pan with an inch of boiling water, cover, place over medium heat, and let steam 3 minutes until tender but still a little crisp.

Toss the spinach and beans together. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment