Sunday, February 3, 2013

Simple Carrot Salad

I think I'm very observant as I power through the Hollywood Farmers Market on Sunday mornings. But it turns out I miss a lot.

I've been buying apples regularly from Ha's Apple Farm at the south end of the market - he's had varieties I've never heard of, all of which have been delicious.

Last week I was buying apples, and I noticed a bottle of apple cider vinegar. I asked if that was new, and he assured me that no, he's been making and selling it for a long time. I just never noticed it before.

Of course I bought a bottle. Larry drinks apple cider vinegar every morning (you can see his post about it here) and I thought it would be nice to have vinegar made by someone we know.

Then I was inspired to make this simple carrot salad of grated carrots tossed with apple cider vinegar. It's so simple I'm almost embarrassed to describe it. But it tastes good, so I encourage you to try it too. So often carrot salads have mayonnaise and/or capers. This version has a cleaner taste, and the vinegar encourages digestion so it's a good addition to any meal.

The mild acidity of the vinegar enhanced the sweetness of the carrots, plus it kept them bright orange for a few days. I was able to put a large spoonful on the salads I packed for our lunches. (I like anything that makes that morning salad-making easier.)

Simple Carrot Salad
1/2 lb (3-4) carrots
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt

Grate the carrots. Toss with vinegar and salt. Taste and add more vinegar or salt to taste.

Serves 2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment