Saturday, December 3, 2011

Ginger Green Tea


I've started making ginger green tea my morning drink.

I've heard for years about the health benefits of green tea - it's high in antioxidants that fight cancer, keep your heart and arteries healthy, balance blood sugar, and boost brain power. But I find it hard to enjoy. It's a little bland and tannic for my tastes.

But adding ginger both mellows it and gives it a zing. Ginger also has a lot of health benefits - it's good for the digestion, boosts the immune system, fights certain cancers, and is anti-inflammatory. In fact, green tea and ginger are a very healthy way to start the day.

This recipe is what I've been doing. It's warm, wet and a little tingly. The ginger masks the bitterness of the green tea. I like it mild, but you can add more ginger if you prefer, or simmer the ginger longer.

It's essential not to have the water boiling when you add the green tea or it will taste bitter. Experts say the water for brewing green tea should be at 180-190°F. I figure as long as it's not bubbling, it's close enough.

The timing is approximate too - I brew the tea while puttering around making our breakfast fruit and our lunches.

I get organic green tea leaves at Chado, a few blocks from my office in Old Pasadena. You could substitute a green tea teabag if that's what you have.

I admit to feeling virtuous while sipping this tea. The fact it tastes good is an added bonus.

Ginger Green Tea
3 nickel-sized slices of fresh ginger root
1 tsp green tea (or 1 teabag)

Peel the brown skin off the ginger and put the slices in a small pot with 1 1/4 cups cold water. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn the heat down and let the ginger simmer 3 minutes. Uncover and take off the heat. When it's stopped bubbling, add the green tea. Cover and let steep 3 minutes. Strain into a mug and serve.

Serves 1

No comments:

Post a Comment