Monday, May 24, 2010

Blueberries and cancer


My blueberries will ripen one day. So far they are beautiful green berries, but I have hopes. The birds have hopes too, so I have surrounded most of my two bushes with bird netting, leaving a few available for the avid avians. There's heaps else for them to eat in the garden, and I need my blueberries.

Blueberries are high in antioxidants which fight free radicals and boost the immune system. Now scientists at City of Hope are finding that they can prevent the spread of cancer, according to a recent report on abc news.

Usually scientists try to extract one key health-promoting element of a food and study its effect. I'm skeptical of those studies, in part because I think bodies use all of the nutrients in whole foods more effectively than they do a single nutrient taken by itself. But in this study, the scientists at City of Hope think that it's not one specific chemical in blueberries that is the magic anti-cancer bullet.

"We actually believe that it's a combination of all the different phytochemicals in blueberries working together that aid in increasing its activity," said City of Hope research fellow Lynn S. Adams.

Whole food. It's the best way to maintain health. Slowly, science is catching up to common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment