Sunday, March 14, 2010

Washing Greens


Sometimes it just feels like too much work to wash a lettuce. That’s why pre-packaged washed mixed greens and lettuces fly off the shelves at the supermarkets. They’re not bad for you, but they are expensive for what you get.

Larry and I take salads to work most days, and, believe me, I don’t enjoy washing lettuce at 6 a.m.

I also don’t enjoy over-paying for food. And I find those bags of mixed greens get slimy more quickly than I expect.

My solution is to buy lettuce and pre-wash it myself.

I separate the leaves, wash them well in a sink of cold water, and spin them in the salad spinner. I wrap a bunch of leaves in a paper towel and put them in a plastic bag which I then fasten with a clothespin and put in the crisper drawer of the fridge. Don’t cram it in or the leaves will bruise and wilt.

Greens last more than a week this way, and when I’m ready to make a salad or cook some wilted greens, I just pull what I need out of the bag.

This works with spinach, chard, pretty much all greens. I wouldn’t try to keep the delicate ones for a full week, but you should be able to prepare 4-5 days worth of greens at once (get the family to help), and thus make preparing meals much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment