Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Chutney

First I peeled the spaghetti squash, then I
seeded it, then I cut it lengthwise into strips
before slicing it crosswise.
Regular readers know of my obsession with spaghetti squash. I don't know why I love it but I do.

So when I read a recipe for spaghetti squash chutney, I knew we had to eat it with our Christmas turkey and Mushroom Pie.

I've never been much of a chutney fan - I like my food relatively plain and unadorned - but I have to say that the tangy sweet and sour flavor of this chutney goes well with mushroom pie and makes a great addition to a vege-pâté sandwich. Plus it looks great in a glass bowl. What more could you want from a holiday relish?

The recipe is from a book called The Vegetarian Kitchen Table Cookbook - written by two Montrealers, Igor Brotto and Olivier Guiried (formerly from other countries) - that Larry borrowed from the Alhambra library for me. He then braved Whole Foods to get me the organic currants required in the recipe. So really it's his fault he had to eat spaghetti squash on Christmas Day.

Spaghetti Squash Chutney
2 lb spaghetti squash
1/2 cup currants
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cups white wine vinegar
1 lime

Peel the spaghetti squash, cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and guts. Slice it in roughly 1/2 inch strips. Cut the strips crosswise in 1 - 1 1/2 inch pieces.

Put the squash in a large pan with the currants, sugar, water and vinegar. Bring it to a boil and simmer, uncovered, until the squash is tender, about 90 minutes. Grate in the zest of the lime and cook another 10 minutes.

Remove from the heat and let cool. Can be stored for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I just bought another tiny spaghetti squash to eat with garlic butter. It's possible I'm obsessed.

    ReplyDelete